Monday, July 13, 2009

Alright... first up!

Well Everyone,
Welcome to my first FOOD post of this new blog. For those who read my other non food blog thanks for showing support, and for those of you who are new welcome! I will move into my new place Saturday and probably won't start cooking until around Monday when we're all settled in so I'll post the menu plans and recipes early with picture updates hopefully next week!

Week 1
Day 1
Lunch:
Chicken Salad with Bell Pepper Dressing (recipe courtesy of Weight Watchers Cookbook)

Ingredients:
  • Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast (3/4lb)
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 2 red bell peppers
  • 1 onion
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1/4 cup chicken broth
  • 1/4 water
  • 1 tbs red-wine vinegar
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • greens of choice (they recommend arugula and red leaf) but you can substitute your fav!
Directions:
  1. Rub chicken with 1/3 of the garlic. They recommend marinating in fridge for 1 hour if desired.
  2. Preheat oven to 400. For dressing: Combine the bell peppers, onion, leftover garlic and oil in a small casserole dish. Roast the pepper combination for 25 minutes. Stir in water and broth. Cover in foil and roast 20 minute longer. Cool and then transfer to food processor or blender. Add vinegar and pepper and puree.
  3. Cook chicken in a nonstick skillet with some cooking spray. Saute until golden. Let cool and then slice.
Voila! I know it sounds really complicated which kind of scared me away at first but once I realized I could use that dressing for way more than just this salad the 40 minute prep time justified itself. Just refrigerate the leftover Roasted Pepper dressing and use it over veggies or rice the next day!
Now since this is also supposed to be about the nutrition aspect for myself this recipe just has 137cals and 4g of fat! (One serving is 1.5 cups of greens, 5 strips of chicken and 3 tbs of dressing).
Next up... Week1 Day 1 Dinner!
:)Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment